Wednesday 27 February 2013

High Society Top Hat & Rhinestone Sunglasses - Two Rare Items To Watch For


Way back near the beginning of Cataclysm, I first learned about the new High Society Top Hat which was supposed to be a new recipe for Tailors to make. I didn't have a max level Tailor at the time but the bit that caught my interest was the materials. It was going to use Polished Brass Rivets - an item only found by pick-pocketing or occasional random drops. As a very newbie gold maker back then, I set off to grind some mobs & do some serious picking of pockets with my Rogue. Sadly the recipe never made it into game & with the arrival of Mists of Pandaria, those lovely Polished Brass Rivets turned grey in my bank.

So why am I telling you this sad tale today? Well, I was randomly mooching through the Auction House earlier this week & the Rhinestone Sunglasses caught my eye. Listed at 40,000g, I had no idea what they were or where they came from so off I went to Wowhead. It turns out that they are now a very rare drop from the Blingtron 4000 and for the few players who have been lucky enough to find some in the Blingtron 4000 Gift package, they are selling for very high prices. They aren't transmoggable but they don't bind on equip either so you can safely use them & still transfer them to a different alt later.

The Rhinestone Sunglasses are also listed as crafted by Jewelcrafters so I thought to myself - where do I get the recipe? Back to Wowhead & reading the comments for the Sunglasses recipe, there was mention of the High Society Top Hat. It turns out that both these recipes have made it into game but with such a low World Drop rate that very few have been found. The recipe for the Top Hat has been changed to just 4 Dreamcloth & some vendor materials but on top of it being a super low drop chance, it only drops for Tailors! The Rhinestone Sunglasses recipe will only drop for Jewelcrafters and is also a super low drop rate.

Out of curiosity, I popped over to The Undermine Journal (EU) just to see how many of either of these items are available. Imagine my delight when I saw the Top Hat listed on my server at 200g! I have never logged into game so fast in my life! Luckily, the cheap Top Hat was still available so of course, I snatched it up straightaway!

There was another listed at 40,000g so I relisted my bargain too. I really don't care if I don't sell it though - my Gnome looks so cute in her Top Hat! Sadly the Top Hat is bind on equip but not transmoggable so anyone with the Recipe could make quite a killing on this one. I would put it in the same kind of category as the Rich Purple Silk Shirt although much more expensive of course.

So, that's 2 very rare drop recipes to add to your snatch list. With the Sunglasses dropping off Blingtron gifts, they may not hold their value quite so well but as The Undermine Journal is showing only 58 Rhinestone Sunglasses available across the whole of the EU servers & only 33 High Society Top Hats, I'd take a bet on their prices staying pretty high for the foreseeable future!


****************

Check out some of my Squidoo lenses!

3 comments:

  1. Love that top hat! I just checked our auction house and the glasses were 5k, by both sellers, so sadly not so much demand on my server :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was fortunate enough to get the top hat from a Blingtron gift package, but have no idea whether I want to sell it or keep it. My bank alt would certainly look very smart in it, but I hardly use her these days, so it would seem a bit of a waste. Perhaps I'll try listing it nice and high to see if anyone bites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always worth a try :) Mine still hasn't sold but if I see another one, then I'll nab it to wear & create some demand that way maybe!

      Delete

Your comment is awaiting moderation - I hate to do this but so many spammers around these days :(