Tuesday 12 February 2013

20 Days of Gold Making - Day 15 Professions


The question for today on my 20 Days of Gold Making is "Professions - do you have all of them, some or none? Which is your favorite for goldmaking?" which is both an easy & a tough one for me. Yes, I have all the professions, most are maxed with the exception of herbalism (my loved/hated Rogue) and Engineering which is on my level 50-something Warlock. As for which is my favorite for gold making, that changes almost week by week!

If you've been reading here for a while, you'll know that glyphs & gems were my main gold makers during Cataclysm but with the advent of Mists of Pandaria, both seem to have ground to a halt. I've been transmuting Trillium & Living Steel on both my Transmute alchemists and making a few flasks here & there too but I can't say Alchemy is my favorite profession right now.

My paladin is really the only alt with any reputation locked recipes at the moment and she is my skinner/leatherworker. I've been making a mix of the various leg armors and the Epic gloves to make best use of her Spirits of Harmony which I get from doing the dailies & planting Songbell Seeds on her Tillers farm. If I can get cheap Savage Leather, I'm also making the Triple-Reinforced Mining Bags (to use up my Volatile Earths) and the Royal Scribe's Satchel (to use up my Inferno Inks). These have been selling around the 1000g mark, albeit slowly but I'm in no rush to get rid of them - they sit in my mailbox in 1 or 2 mails & I just take out another when one sells.

I've also been making quite good profits from the Mammoth Mining Bags - 48 pieces of Borean Leather usually cost me around the 1-2g mark so my maximum crafting costs for them is 96g. Until recently, I had managed to push the price of these bags up to around the 350g - 400g mark but I have a competitor now who insists that the list price should be 150g!

Now I know that I can sell them at 350g so I could buy out her cheaper bags but the problem is that at 350g, they don't sell quite so quickly and as she is both a skinner & leatherworker in the level 70's, she is obviously picking up Borean Leather as she is questing in Northrend. If I buy her bags, she will just produce more & I will run out of space before she gives up this market. So what I'm doing is snatching up most of the Borean Leather on the Auction House at every opportunity including Heavy Borean Leather & Borean Leather Scraps and converting it all to Heavy Borean Leather.

Once she hits level 80 & moves on to the Cataclysm areas, I'm hoping she will 'forget' this market but in the meantime, I am undercutting her & if she doesn't post any bags, I'm putting my price back up to around 250g. I'm still making pretty good profits so I'll stay in this market.

I've also been making some of the PvP armor, prices can vary a great deal from day to day so I just make a few pieces and jump in & out of the market when the prices are high. I'm also doing this on my Blacksmith but she only has 2 of the PvP recipes right now as she is only level 87 & struggling to get Spirits of Harmony. My tailor is still level 85 though and not likely to be leveling any time soon so the PvP Tailoring recipes will have to wait!

I've always had a soft spot for Leatherworking - it's my only original profession on my very first ever alt so I have recipes that are hard to get or no longer in game, I've slaved through various dungeons in the hope of getting the Stylin' leather hats recipes & I've got a snatch list for hard to get materials for some of the lower level recipes too. I really should start making those again - I wonder if they still sell? Hmmm, new post idea there I guess :)

****************

Check out some of my Squidoo lenses!


Image © CalypsoCrystal under Creative Commons licence

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is awaiting moderation - I hate to do this but so many spammers around these days :(